Holy God,

There are no words.  There is nothing that we can say but instead we cry out.  We cry out in shared grief and pain for the loss of so many children.  We do not understand, and we cannot imagine why someone would murder, why someone would justify this act of violence.  We cannot comprehend.

We come to You in prayer, but our prayer is jumbled. We pray for the families who are grieving.  We pray for those who are wounded and recovering.  We pray for those adults who put themselves in harm’s way to protect others.  We pray for those children that have witnessed this horrific tragedy and will live with this for the rest of their lives.

Our grief is raw. The wound gapes open and we do not know how to stop it.  But we call upon You, O Lord, to comfort those who mourn, to bind-up the brokenhearted.

It is Hanukkah, it is Advent, many are now preparing for the rest of Hanukkah and Christmas without their loved one.  God, we surround them with our prayers, for we know not what else we can do.  We surround them with our love, knowing that You are with them, that You hold them close.

Call us together as a community, and as a nation, loving God, to work to end violence, to build a safer community and safer schools for our children.  In this time, help us to come together, for we are stronger together than we are alone, and we know Your comfort and love is shared when we are together.

Keep us close, O God. Help us to turn to each other, to seek the help we need, to build up instead of tearing down.  Guide us with wisdom in how we teach our children, and work to end this violence.  Loving God, help us to know You are always with us, and You are grieving with us now.

In Your name we pray.  Amen.

Tagged with:

18 Responses to A prayer for Newtown, CT

1. Jill says:

Very well said. Shard on my FB page. Thanks.

2. Rev. Joe Hughes says:

Thank you. I am sharing this prayer with our congregation via email.
    Rev Joe Hughes

3. M.Braddock says:

Thanks for these words — and for helping us find the words in prayer. I’d like to share with my cong. on FB.

4. Jerie says:

Bless you for providing words when ours fail.

5. Nancy Horn says:

Thank you for putting into words what I cannot. Only God can heal this. In Jesus’ Mighty Name we pray, AMEN.

6. Maria says:

Thank you – this prayer really speaks for me. I have shared it on my FB.

7. Sandi says:

Thank you so much for your healing words

8. Bob O. says:

Thank you for this prayer. Have also shared on FB. God Bless.

9. Thanks Mindi…I couldn’t get past “sighs too deep for words”…which wouldn’t have been much help for those in the pews tomorrow. Will share this instead! LORD, have mercy on us all.

10. Steve Hollaway says:

I’ll be sharing this with my ABC congregation on Block Island (RI) tomorrow. Thanks so much.

11. Janet says:

I too shared this on my congregations Facebook page. Then got several heartfelt comments. Thanks and blessings. Pastor Janet

12. Frances Rosenau says:

As a new mom, I have not been able to find my own words after this tragedy. The pain just hits too close to home. Thank you for sharing yours. I’ll be sharing them with my congregation – Westminster in Albany, NY – tomorrow.

13. Sharlyn Gates says:

Thank you for this prayer. I’m sharing it with my congregation. It is so helpful!

14. Christine Kim says:

Thank you for such a beautiful words. I will be sharing it during a prayer service.

15. Bob Cornwall says:

Thank you Mindi for this prayer. I shared it as my pastoral prayer this morning. You put in words what we needed to ask of God.

16. Trina Portillo says:

I also used your prayer as the pastoral prayer in worship Sunday morning, following a candle lighting where people came forward to light a candle in memory of the lives who were lost on Friday. You gave us some words where we were struggling to find voice, and I am grateful to you. Thank you.

17. […] marks the 2nd anniversary of the Newtown shootings. Here is my original prayer. I have family in Newtown, CT, and the tragedy touched me deeply, as it still does for many. Here […]

18. […] from three years ago in preparation for this weekend, I came across a prayer prepared by The Rev. Mindi Welton-Mitchell. She is currently pastor of Burien Community Church (American Baptist) in Burien, Washington, and is […]